BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shhhhh quiet book in progress

(don't double click on the photos, as this will enlarge the photos, disclosing my uneven stitches)
After I buy laces these will be shoes she can practice tying



This is Noah's ark, it is my very first attempt at placing a zipper. The pouch contains animal finger puppets and laminated animal cards



This one has Velcro letters that say Savannah Stickler.



This page shows the proper way to set a table, with a picnic basket that will have a buckle for her to use. The utensils can be stored in the basket. The other is a page of food. They fit inside a grocery cart, that I haven't finished yet



The pink photo album hold photos of family and friends. Mommy's purple bag contains, a mirror, lipstick, an old fashioned hankie, soft keys, a credit card and fake money in a wallet.



Here is a dress-up doll with goofy hair. So far she has a dress, a coat with snow pants, capri's, a t shirt and a leotard


Downtown SLC with a little matchbox car that fits in the garage she can drive around. See I even have the SLC temple. And a traffic light where she can match colors



Here is a partially finished oven, with a door that opens, and oven mitt she can wear and removable cupcakes



here is an artists easel, and a paint pallet to help her match colors with their names




Here is a telephone with squishy buttons she can press and practice dialing phone numbers of her favorite people




here is an apple tree that has apples she can snap on/off and place in the basket. The flowers have big buttons she can place the petals on






About a month ago I put a question out on my facebook page, asking friends what they did to keep their kids quiet in church and other situations that require reverence. The idea that intrigued me the most was from Keith's cousin Rachele. She suggested a quiet book. It would have been super easy to go online and purchase one, and that would be that. But I decided to make one myself. Now most of you would think that since my Mother and Grandmother are and were great seamstresses, that I would have that in my genetics. The truth is, I can't sew worth a darn. I did take a sewing class in high school. My final assignment was to make an article of clothing and then we were to model them in front of the school. The pattern I chose was a lovely pair of overall shorts. The fabric I chose was pastel Noah's ark animals. Yes I know, hideous. So I would work on my project at school and at home. Interestingly enough, when I woke up in the morning I would find that my seams were actually straight, and my mistakes would be unpicked and re sewn. I just figured there was a Singer fairy... but it was MOM! She couldn't bare to have me model those awful shorts as-is. So you get the picture, I am not the sewing type, but this project required that I at least sew a straight line. Some of you suggested fabric glue, but it isn't tough enough to withstand the strength of Savannah Grace.
I had to start fresh, I didn't even own thread. I had needles and some scissors (thanks Mom) but that was it. So now after a few weeks and a lot of hours spent bending over my sewing machine, here are a few of the close-to-being- finished pages. There are several more that are in the process of being built, so I will post the finished book when it is done.

5 comments:

Jillo said...

Seriously....WOW! Love it. I really like how the pages have things to do. so many quiet books just have things to look at. I am totally impressed and a wee bit jealous. =)

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

Very cute! I was spoiled by my motherinlaw who made one for Kelsie. :)

Gary and Debbie Rex said...

Awesome work, Miss Melissa! I've thought about purchasing/making quiet books, file folder games, and other cute things like that...but then I just gave up and resorted to food. ;)

Danny, Marca, Kirk, and Joey. said...

These are so cute! You did a super good job!

Cara said...

Fantastic, Missy! You totally rock! Looks like a fun project, too.