Last night our family was treated to some wonderful, authentic, Cajun cuisine. One of our dear friends, Nelwyn, who is from Louisiana invited us to her home last night so she could cook for us. It was so sweet, she had her nice table cloth, and beautiful dishes set. For the first course we had a nice green salad. For the main course, we had shrimp etouffee, crawfish etouffee and something called boudin (pronounced bo day) I liked the shrimp the best, but Keith really liked the crawfish. The boudin was very different from what I had ever tried. It was meat (not sure what kind...probably pork,) with rice and very strong spices with a lot of pepper inside a sausage casing. For dessert was a very yummy lemon cheesecake. Let me tell you, we were stuffed when we left.
I know some of you like to try different cuisine, so I will include the recipe for the shrimp etouffee. It is very good, with spices and lots of garlic. I would probably decrease the recipe because it makes a lot. Also you serve it over rice.
Shrimp Etouffee
4 lbs. shrimp, peeled and cleaned
1 bunch green onions, finely minced
3 med. onions, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 cup parsley, finely minced
1/2 cup butter of margarine
1 1/2 Tbl. tomato paste
3 1/2 tsp. salt
hot pepper sauce (Frank's is best)
cornstarch
saute onions, garlic and parsley in butter until soft, DO NOT BROWN. Add tomato paste, stir well and cook for a few minutes. Add shrimp and seasonings. Cook for 20 minutes. Thicken slightly with a little cornstarch. serve over rice
I know some of you like to try different cuisine, so I will include the recipe for the shrimp etouffee. It is very good, with spices and lots of garlic. I would probably decrease the recipe because it makes a lot. Also you serve it over rice.
Shrimp Etouffee
4 lbs. shrimp, peeled and cleaned
1 bunch green onions, finely minced
3 med. onions, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 cup parsley, finely minced
1/2 cup butter of margarine
1 1/2 Tbl. tomato paste
3 1/2 tsp. salt
hot pepper sauce (Frank's is best)
cornstarch
saute onions, garlic and parsley in butter until soft, DO NOT BROWN. Add tomato paste, stir well and cook for a few minutes. Add shrimp and seasonings. Cook for 20 minutes. Thicken slightly with a little cornstarch. serve over rice



2 comments:
Miss that shrimp dish sounds really good. Maybe even your dad would eat it... At our house Southern Comfort is not food, It comes in a bottle and I call it my Toothache medicine!!! I don't like it and you probably wouldn't either!. I know you like the Wild Turkey better UGH!!
okay mom, quit saying things about me. I never drank the stuff, you just made me use it when I had a toothache...I just happened to swallow the stuff, uh, and liked it too. Maybe there was some Southern comfort in the etouffee... No there wasn't, just kiddin'
Post a Comment