Since school got out at the beginning of summer it has been a non-stop party for the kids. They, along with most of the neighborhood have been out until 10 pm every night. Playing ghost in the graveyard, tag, and watching movies with the outdoor projector. They had the best summer this year. Well, now it is all over; we started school last week.
Last year when we moved to the Layton area, we were without a home. Not having a permanent address, we were not able to register the kids in school. I even went so far as to call the school district. They couldn't help me. I started to look online at the district web page. I came across a statement that said, if a child is "homeless" they can be registered in school without having the usual paperwork submitted. So, I swallowed my pride and went into Heritage elementary in Layton. I told the secretary that we had just moved in and didn't have a permanent address... we were homeless. She jumped right up, grabbed the forms and never asked me another question about residency. The kids got to go to Heritage and had THE BEST year ever. We loved that school. Unfortunately, when we bought our home, we found out it was one street out of the school boundary. I asked, but they couldn't grant a variance. I was told we would have to go to Layton elementary this year. I wasn't happy, their classes are crowded, and the kids don't get a lot of extra help. My friend told me about a brand new charter school that was opening just a few miles down the street. I really had my reservations about Charter schools. Worried that my children wouldn't get a decent education. After doing a ton of research we decided to try it. So far, I love it. The kids have great teachers, and the curriculum is difficult and challenging. Plus, they have the added benefit of wearing "uniforms" (solid colored uniform bottoms, with a polo shirt) Nathan came home from his first day of school, and it "wasn't the worst day ever" Yeah Nathan! Anyone who knows him, knows he doesn't like school. Megan loved it, and has a few friends who attend also. Her only objection is the clothing... actually the shoes. Sorry Meg, no flip-flops and no crocs!!!!! I am happy for them, and I hope the year is successful! I am so proud of my big kids!

2 comments:
Sounds like you made a good choice with the charter school. I'm jealous of the Utah school systems. Yes, there's always whining about school budgets, etc etc. But living outside of Utah, I am of the opinion that any school in Utah is better than the best in Oregon. Seriously!! I would send my kids to Utah schools any day. For the most part, they are more challenging. I swear, half my kids class are/were foster kids at some point. Sad, but true.
Your kids look so cute! We suffer the same camera irregularities in our family too. For every picture of the older kids, there are many more of the young one.
Cute pics - I can't believe how big they are. LOVE the pictures of Savannah drawing...so cute!!!
Post a Comment