Because Utah is weird, and gave the kids a 2 day vacation from school, we decided to pack up the family and take a mini vacation. On Thursday morning we drove to my parents house in Grand Junction, Colorado. It was a 5 hour drive, but the kids did great. We got to see Grammie and Papa and had a nice time visiting with them. On Friday we got up early and drove Cortez, which is in Southern Colorado. We got there early enough to go to Mesa Verde for part of the day. For those who don't know, Mesa Verde is where the cliff dwelling native Americans lived about 700 years ago. We were amazed at what we saw. I don't think that Keith or I really knew what to expect.
THis is called Sun Temple. When the sun begins to set in front of the ruins everything appears to be in shadow, and the dwelling seems to pop out. It is amazing!


3 comments:
HA! That childs plate cracks me up! Did she eat even 1/4 of that thing?
Shoot- now I am craving some yummy mexican food and payday is two days away. Mmmmmmm...... Mexican food.
That looks so cool!
Tay would love something like that. She would like those kid size portions too... she's never full when we eat out, and I can't afford to order her adult portions.
Don't they have UEA in Mississippi? It allows teachers to take some extra courses in education... I love the little break.
We were there the year after the fire, and it was horrible. The rangers thought they were not going to be able to save the ruins. I have always wondered what became of the people. If they died where were their bones? Some say they may have even been captured by other tribes.
I'm glad that Nathan got to see it as he is so into the Indian life and cultures.
Mom
Post a Comment