BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer project







About a month ago a found an awesome deal on some Adirondack chairs. Typically they sell for about $100 a piece. I have ALWAYS wanted some, so when I heard about the sale I went a plunked my money down. What was I thinking???? I am a busy mom with three VERY busy kids, including a 1 year old. I left the store with 4 boxes. The guy who worked there told me that it couldn't be too hard to assemble them. (I am sure he had his hand over his mouth, trying to contain his laugh as I exited the store.) I got them home and quickly put Little V up in her bed. I opened up the box and started taking out pieces. (40 to be exact) I read the instructions and they were 4 pages long. Hmmmm. After about two and a half hours I had one chair assembled. It looked really good. Then I started thinking... what if we have friends over, where will they sit? The whole family should have their own chair, even Savannah. I then got back in the van, drove across town again and bought 2 more chairs. This time I told the worker that it hadn't really taken me much time do one chair. He said, well did you have a problem with the labels on the pieces falling off. As a matter of fact, I did. Nice that he told me that FIRST. The assembling wasn't the hard part though. It was the sanding, then priming, then sanding again, then painting 4 different coats of enamel and letting them all dry in between, next they will all get a few coats of lacquer, just to keep them nice. I am excited to say that they look good. I really like them. And no, Keith did not touch a single one. He said either the glory would be mine, or the failure would. (gee what confidence) So here they are. Come on over and sit a spell.

7 comments:

crazy savages said...

Those are SO COOL!!!! How elated I am that I taught you the wonders of power tools!!! Aren't they the greatest?
Mommers...

Marla said...

Melissa! I love them! And I am so impressed that you did all this work with a 1 year old around. That is true accomplishment. Keith's comment about glory or failure made me laugh outloud because that is SOOOO Dave too!

Stacy Holmes said...

They look fabulous! I love that each one is a different color. I am so cheap I would have stretched each paint can..then would have been disappointed cuz I would have rather had different colors..way to do it right the first time. May the glory be yours!

Stacy Holmes said...

May the glory be yours, Mel!

Gary and Debbie Rex said...

Wow, those look awesome!! I am totally amazed you could do all that without little handprints of multiple colors decorating your home - the chairs are beautiful! Paint is not my friend - I still have a can from 6 years old that I bought for our bedroom...pathetic, I know. :)

Nancy said...

They look great! You did good.....
My son best never under estimate you and your talents. Love the colors...
Nancy in CA

Jaz said...

wow!! I absolutely adore those chairs!

Having assembled my fair share of furniture, and painted some as well....I have a general idea of how much work went into those chairs. You are awesome!!