2008 has been a year of challenges for myself. In February I gave birth to baby number 3. At that point I was very much over weight. Even before I got pregnant, I had packed on a bunch of extra pounds. 40 extra to be exact. Wow, that is a tough thing to say and admit out loud. We moved in August from Mississippi (home to the fattest people in the country) to Utah. One day after getting out of the swimming pool, Nathan snapped a picture of me in my swim suit. I was mortified to see what I REALLY looked like. I was very embarrassed. I decided right then and there that I was ready to put myself in front of the line and make some important changes. First of all, I joined weight watchers. There I learned to take control of myself and to be more accountable for the things I do. I was very nervous the very first meeting I attended. I remember driving around the block and talking on my cell phone with my dad, trying to convince myself it was the right thing to do. But I did it. In the meeting I learned that I had a total of 53 pounds to lose to make it to my goal weight. Since then I have worked hard, and attended a meeting every single week. Well, today was my 17th week of attending weight watchers. At this meeting I had lost 30 pounds. Just 23 left to go. I owe the success to myself, but also to my sister for helping make a weight watcher friendly Thanksgiving dinner. To my mother-in-law for not making all of my favorite dips and goodies for Christmas. To my Mom for not being a "food pusher" as she usually is. To Keith for raising a brow (without being condescending) when I go to grab a second helping. To the kids who always ask, "How many points is that Mom? Did you write it down?" And to everyone else who has made me be responsible for my actions. I haven't wanted ANYTHING so desperately than to feel good in my own body and comfortable in my clothes. At our meeting today my advisor told us to come up with a winning outcome for 2009. I need to know exactly what I'm working toward. Be positive, be specific, within my control, and a good fit with my life. So this is my goal for 2009. I want to get to my goal weight. I want to wear a swimsuit to the pool this summer and be comfortable in my own body. I know I can do it. Wow, it's embarrassing to say all of this, but I know if I do, I will be much more accountable. So if you see me, ask how I am doing. Don't ever let me forget the goal I have set for myself. If I am eating out with you, remind me to stay in control. Only the people I really care about read my blog regularly and I know you care enough about me to help me out. Happy New Year!!!!!
Farewell
6 years ago

8 comments:
Congratulations Melissa-that is so awesome! I really am so happy for you. Don't you love weight watchers? You are so dedicated. I really am envious. I lost 20 on it before I had a baby, I can't imagine 30. wow, totally amazing.
Congratulations! Sounds like we have similar goals for the New Year. Good luck!
Wow! You have inspired me! I too had a baby in 2008 and need to lose weight. I ran a 5k in November and felt great! This year is the year I take control of myself and stop making excuses. Being a mom of 4, you forget to take care of yourself. NOT THIS YEAR! Thanks Melissa for your post. I needed to hear your story! : )
Congrats!!! That is great!
Weight Watchers seems to be the way to go. Keep up the good work.
Kids sure do a number on us poor moms. After I had Ginny I would tease that my 2 belly rolls were named "Thing 1" and "Thing 2"... one for each kid. Now that I've had number 3, I need a name for my third roll... maybe "It". Or, maybe I should name them after my kids.(Sigh)
That's great! I have 40 pounds to lose too if it makes you feel any better! Weight Watchers is wonderful...that is how most of my family lost their weight. Good-luck with the rest!
I am so proud of you!!! I was going to write that we could celebrate by going to dinner, but--- that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?? You do look great, keep up the good work. We have a friend who has reached her 86 lb weight loss goal, so I know you can do it!.
Mommie.
That's great! Congrats! I love weight watchers that's what helped me get down to my goal weight and make me feel good too. I lost 48 pounds! You are over half way there. I can't wait to see you reach your goal.
That's really cool! I love Weight Watchers and it really works. I became a lifetime member about two months ago, and it's a great feeling.
Congratulations on your success
Post a Comment